Schedule J: Québec tax credit for home-support services for seniors

If you or your spouse or common-law partner is 70 or older, needs home-support services (such as help with eating, bathing, moving around within your home, and maintaining your home) in order to continue living comfortably at home, you might be able to claim the Québec tax credit for home-support services for seniors, even if you didn’t have any income in the year.

To be eligible for this credit, you must meet the following conditions:

  • You must be at least 70 years of age on December 31, 2021
  • You must be a resident of Québec on December 31, 2021

Note: If you turned 70 in 2021, you can only deduct the expenses you paid for after you turned 70. If your spouse is also eligible for this credit, only one of you can claim the credit for the couple (complete only one Schedule J in your H&R Block tax return).

To claim this tax credit, you can:

Note: If you miss the advance payment application deadline, you’ll have to wait until you file your return to claim the tax credit.

Generally, the tax credit amount will be the same whether you claim the credit on your return or choose to receive advance payments. However, even if you received advance payments during the year, you should still complete a Schedule J when you file your return to make sure you’ve received the amount you’re entitled to. Keep in mind, the person who receives the advance payments should be the one to claim the credit.

Note: Advance payments are only received through direct deposit.

If you receive advanced payments and there are any changes in your situation, you’ll need to inform Revenu Québec immediately.