Medical Expenses

Important: Do not enter any medical expense amounts that you’ve already entered in box 85 of your T4 page or box 135 of your T4A page. H&R Block's tax software will automatically claim these amounts for you on your return. You only need to enter, on this page, the medical expenses that you haven’t entered anywhere else on your return.

You can claim medical expenses for:

  • Yourself
  • Your spouse or common-law partner or
  • Your or your spouse’s children under the age of 18
  • Your dependants (such as your or your spouse’s child or grandchild over 18, parent, grandparent, brother, sister, uncle, aunt, niece, or nephew) – these are claimed under the dependant’s section in H&R Block’s tax software. Refer to our online help centre article for more information on claiming medical expenses for other dependants.

You can claim medical expenses for any 12-month period ending in 2023 and which have not already been claimed in 2022. For example, for the 2023 tax year, you could claim expenses paid in 2022 and in 2023.

You can claim all or a portion of the medical expenses for which you’ve not been or will not be reimbursed. For example, let's say your health insurance plan reimbursed you for 80% of your medical expenses, you can only claim the remaining 20% on your return.

Note: The medical expenses you’re claiming can’t be used to calculate any other credit, including the disability supports deduction.