Your unused federal tuition, education, and textbook amounts from previous years

If you were a student in a previous year, you might have carried forward your unused federal tuition, education, and textbook amounts. You can claim these unused amounts on your 2022 return to reduce your tax payable.

To find your unused tuition amounts from prior years:

  • Refer to your most recent notice of assessment (NOA) or notice or reassessment or
  • Log into the CRA My Account service (registration required)


  • You must claim your carry forward amounts in the first year that you have to pay income tax
  • You can’t carry forward unused amounts that you transferred to a parent, grandparent, spouse, or common-law partner and
  • Amounts that have been carried forward from a previous year cannot be transferred to a family member

Tax Tip: Even if you don’t have to pay income tax and you want to carry forward all or part of your tuition tax credit this year, you should still file your tax return on time so that the CRA can update their records with your unused credit amount.