Québec independent living tax credit for seniors
If you’re at least 70 years of age, a resident of Québec, and you or your spouse paid for expenses so that you can continue to live independently in your home, you may be eligible to claim the independent living tax credit. The credit is equal to 20% of:
- The portion of your expenses that’s over $250 for the purchase or lease and installation of eligible equipment or fixtures
- Expenses paid for stay(s) in a functional rehabilitation transition unit
Note: You can’t claim the tax credit for any expenses that were reimbursed or used to calculate another tax credit. For example, if you’re claiming the expense for a hospital bed under your medical expenses, you can’t claim the same expense for your independent living tax credit for seniors.
Follow these steps in H&R Block’s 2020 tax software:
Before you begin, make sure that you told us that you lived in Québec on December 31, 2020.
- On the PREPARE tab, click the OTHER icon. You'll find yourself here:
- Under the CREDITS FOR SENIORS heading, select the checkbox labelled, Independent living tax credit for seniors, then click Continue.
- When you arrive at the page for the Independent living tax credit for seniors, enter your information into the tax software.