Amount for a Person Living Alone (Québec)

If you’re a resident of Québec and you maintain and live in your home*, you might be able to claim the amount for a person living alone to lower your tax payable. To qualify, your net family income must be below the threshold found on Schedule B and throughout 2023, you lived:

  • alone (you didn’t share your home with another person such as your parent, sibling, or a co-tenant)
  • with one or more children under the age of 18
  • With one or more of your children, grandchildren, or great-grandchildren over 18 who are full-time secondary or post-secondary students

Tax Tip: If you’re a single parent, you might be eligible to receive an additional amount for a person living alone.

* For the purposes of this credit, the term home is used to describe a house, apartment, or a similar place of residence where you normally eat and sleep, which has both a bathroom and a kitchen. If you live in a hotel room or a boarding house, you can’t claim this credit.