Disability amount transferred from a dependant

If one of your dependants (other than your spouse or common-law partner) is eligible to claim the disability amount and doesn’t need to claim the entire amount on their return to reduce their taxes, you might be able to use this remaining amount to lower your own tax payable. If your dependant has an approved T2201: Disability Tax Credit Certificate on file with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) stating that you’re the one claiming the disability amount, you might be able to claim the full disability amount on your tax return.

You can claim your dependant’s disability amount if:

  • Your dependant was resident in Canada at any time during the year
  • Your dependant relied on you for all or some of the necessities of life (like food, shelter, or clothing) and
  • One of the following conditions are met:
    • You claimed an amount for an eligible dependant for this person (or could have if you didn’t have a spouse and if the dependant didn’t have income) or
    • The dependant was your or your spouse’s parent, grandparent, child, grandchild, brother, sister, uncle, aunt, niece, or nephew and you claimed the Canada caregiver credit for them (or could have if he or she didn’t have income and was 18 years or older in the year)

There are certain situations in which you can’t claim the disability amount of a dependant. For complete details, refer to the CRA’s website.

Note: If the CRA doesn’t have an approved T2201 on file for your dependant, you won’t be able to NETFILE your return. Instead, you’ll have to file a paper return and attach a completed T2201.

Tax tip: If your dependant is under the age of 18, you might also be able to claim a supplemental amount on their behalf.