T929: Disability Supports Deduction

If you have a physical or mental impairment and paid expenses in order to work, go to school, or do research, you can claim a disability supports deduction by completing form T929: Disability supports deduction.

Here are a few things to keep in mind, before you complete the form:

  • You can’t claim expenses that you or someone else claimed as medical expenses, or were reimbursed to you by a non-taxable payment (such as insurance)
  • Expenses must be claimed in the same year you paid them and
  • Only you, the person with the physical or mental impairment, can claim your expenses

Note: You can split the expense amount between your medical expenses and disability supports deduction claim as long as, the total amount you’re claiming is not more than the total expense.

Remember to keep your receipts in case the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) asks to see them later.