Preparing individual and spousal tax returns

According to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), both you and your spouse or common-law partner must file your own tax returns. You have the option, however, to prepare your returns separately (uncoupled) or together (as a coupled return) in H&R Block’s DIY tax software.

Note: Once you’ve decided to file your return a certain way (either as a coupled or uncoupled return), you can’t change your selection in H&R Block’s tax software. Instead, you would both have to start new returns.