Political Contributions

If you contributed money to a registered federal political party or to a candidate for election to the House of Commons during the year, you might be able to claim the federal political contribution tax credit.

To claim your federal political contribution, you must have received an official contribution receipt. You can claim 75% of the first $400 you contributed, 50% for any amount contributed between $400 and $750, and 33.33% for amounts over $750. The maximum amount you can claim is $650 per year.

Unlike other donations, your political contributions can’t be carried forward. This means you’ll need to claim your political contributions in the year you made them.

Note: You can claim contributions either you or your spouse or common-law partner made in the year. Remember, however, the contribution amount can’t be split between the two of you if only one receipt was issued.