Manitoba Primary Caregiver Tax Credit

As a primary caregiver of a spouse, relative, friend, or neighbor who lives at home in Manitoba, you might be able to claim a refundable credit on your return for the care you’ve provided.

The person requiring your care must:

  • Be a resident of Manitoba at the end of the year
  • Live in a private residence (not a group home, hospital, personal care home, etc.)
  • Be an insured person as defined in the Health Services Insurance Act
  • Assessed as requiring care at Level 2 or higher under the Manitoba Home Care Program guidelines

As a primary caregiver, you must:

  • Live in Manitoba
  • Have provided care to the recipient for at least 90 days
  • Not have been paid for the care you provided (this includes your spouse or common-law partner; they can’t be paid for the care you or they provided to the care recipient)
  • Be designated as a primary caregiver by the care recipient

In order to be designated as a primary caregiver, both you and the person in your care (or their parent, if they’re under 18) need to jointly complete the primary caregiver tax credit application and have it approved by the Regional Health Authority (RHA) or the Manitoba Department of Families. Click here for more information on where to submit your application.

Once your application has been approved, you’ll receive a copy of it (to be kept with your records), and the care level equivalency guideline.