Manitoba Education Property Tax Credit

As a Manitoba resident, part of your rent or property tax is put towards funding schools. With the Manitoba education property tax credit (EPTC), you might be able to claim up to $437.50 either on your municipal property tax statement or through your income tax return for your contribution to the school system.

You can claim this credit if you were a resident of Manitoba at the end of the year and:

  • You paid rent or school tax on your home in Manitoba during the year
  • You were at least 16 years old at the end of the year

Note: If you have a spouse or a common-law partner, the person who claims the Manitoba school tax credit for homeowners and seniors’ school tax rebate must also be the one to claim the EPTC. If you and your spouse separated or divorced at the end of the year, both you and your spouse can claim the EPTC on your residences after the separation or divorce.

You can’t claim this credit if, during the year, you lived in someone else’s home who for 2022:

  • Will claim you as a dependant
  • Will claim a spousal amount for you, or to whom you’ll transfer your age amount or disability amount or
  • Has received or will receive an education property tax credit

Note: You’ve already received the full EPTC benefit, if you’re 65 years of age or older at the end of the year, your family income was over $40,000, and the EPTC was applied to your 2022 property taxes in advance.