T5008: Statement of securities transactions

You’ll receive a T5008: Statement of securities transactions slip from your broker for securities that you, or someone on your behalf bought, sold, or cashed during the year. Depending on your situation, this slip can include any of the following:

  • Bonds, debentures, promissory notes, other similar properties
  • Publicly traded shares, mutual fund units, debt obligations, options or contracts
  • Deferral or eligible small business corporation shares and other shares
  • The disposal of T-bills at maturity

It’s up to you to keep track of the securities you buy or sell, as well as the adjusted cost base (ACB)* of each investment, so that you can properly report capital gains or losses once you dispose of them.

* ACB refers to the amount you paid for the investment as well as any expenses you had to pay to buy them.

Note: If you’re a resident of Québec, you’ll also receive a Relevé 18: Securities transactions (RL-18) slip. Be sure to enter both the T5008 and the RL-18 slip into H&R Block’s tax software.