Interest or dividend income not shown on a slip

As a Canadian taxpayer, you need to report your interest, dividend, and investment income not shown on a slip on your tax return. Even if you earned less than $50 from your investments, you still need to report what you earned on the Statement of investment income, carrying charges, and interest expenses page in H&R Block’s tax software.

Note: If you’re a Québec resident, you’ll need to report these amounts on Schedule N which is combined with the federal worksheet in H&R Block’s tax software. To complete Schedule N, select Statement of investment income and adjustment of investment expenses (federal worksheet & Schedule N) on the Pension contributions & expense page, under Investments, on the Credits & deductions tab.

Income earned from these types of investments need to be reported on your tax return:

You also need to report interest you received on tax refunds during the year, which you can find on your notice of assessment (NOA) or reassessment.

Note: If you received income during the year that doesn’t fit into any of the categories listed above (for example, if you received interest on money you loaned to a business), you can enter that income on the Other income earned or received in 2023 page under Other on the Credits & deductions tab.