What is the Express NOA?
Express NOA is a service provided by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) that delivers your federal notice of assessment (NOA) directly into the certified tax software you used to prepare your return. With this service, you’ll be able to see your NOA in the tax software after you NETFILE your return.
Note: If you choose not to use this service, you’ll still receive your NOA in the mail.
You must be registered for the CRA My Account and signed up with their Online Mail service to request your NOA through Express NOA. If this is your first year filing a tax return, you won’t be able to use Express NOA. As mentioned, using the Express NOA feature requires that you’re registered for My Account – something you can’t do until you’ve had at least one return assessed by the CRA.
- If you’re a resident of Québec, you’ll only be able to see your federal NOA with the Express NOA service. You will receive your Québec NOA in the mail or you can log into your Revenu Québec My Account service to download it.
- To register for the CRA’s Online Mail service, log into your My Account and under Related services, click on Notification preferences for managing online mail. On the Manage online mail page, click the Register for online mail button and enter your email address.
You’ll be able see your electronic NOA if you’ve successfully filed your return with NETFILE under the File tab of H&R Block’s 2022 tax software and, at the bottom of the page you see a message confirming that your notice of assessment is ready. Then, follow these steps:
- On the File tab, click the Get Notice of Assessment button next to the return for which you want the Express NOA.
- On the new page that opens, click the Sign in to My Account button. You’ll be redirected to the CRA website that will let you request your NOA.
- Select the method you want to use to sign in to your My Account service and enter your credentials.
- Once you see that the CRA has accepted your request, click the Close window button.
- You’ll be taken back to the tax software and will be able to see your NOA from the CRA.